Washington, D.C. –America250, the nationwide commemoration of America’s 250th anniversary in 2026 led by the U.S. Semiquincentennial Commission, has established 11 Advisory Councils across a variety of industries and specialties to increase inclusiveness, expand America250’s capacity and connection to partners and stakeholders, and facilitate program development, implementation, and social impact.
“We are excited to introduce our 11 Advisory Councils as we seek to connect with millions of Americans on our journey to 2026,” said Dr. Carleen Carey, Director of Public Outreach and Inclusion at America250. “Each council is composed of industry luminaries and leading experts in their respective fields who are empowered by America250’s mission and values. We look forward to the thoughtful contributions they will bring to this commemoration to ensure we are capturing the many voices of Americans.”
The current roster of Advisory Councils includes: Arts & Culture; Health & Wellness; History Education; Hospitality & Tourism; Innovation, Science & Entrepreneurship; International; Parks, Preservation & Public Spaces; Sports & Entertainment; Veterans, Military & Family Members; Youth Engagement; and Young Leaders. As America250 continues planning and preparations, additional Advisory Councils will be created.
Health & Wellness Advisory Council
The Health & Wellness Advisory Council will bring together America’s experts in each area of health and wellness, covering topics of physical health, mental health, social well-being, and environmental health. Experts will inform the Foundation on the historic developments of health and wellness in America while also exploring the advancements and challenges of the present and future, enabling America250 to explore programs and partnerships that contribute to the overall health of our nation and its people.
● Ramsey Alwin, President & CEO, National Council on Aging (NCOA)
● Dr. Alicia Bazzano, Chief Health Officer, Special Olympics
● Dr. Georges Benjamin, Executive Director, American Public Health Association
● Stacy Bohlen, Chief Executive Officer, National Indian Health Board
● Dr. Jane Delgado, President and CEO, National Alliance for Hispanic Health (Co-Chair)
● Dr. Victor Dzau, President, National Academy of Medicine
● Dr. Judy Heumann, President, Judith Heumann LLC (Co-Chair)
● Dr. Sara Newman, Director, National Park Service, Office of Public Health (Ex-Officio)
● Stephen Kerrigan, President and CEO, Edward M. Kennedy Community Health Center
● Dr. Oluwaferanmi Okanlami, Director, Assistant Professor, University of Michigan and UCLA
● Amit Paley, CEO & Executive Director, The Trevor Project
● Dr. Cheri Blauwet, Sports Medicine Physician and Assistant Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Harvard Medical School
America250 is a multiyear effort to commemorate the semiquincentennial, or 250th anniversary, of the United States. The purpose of the U.S. Semiquincentennial Commission, created by Congress, and the corresponding America250 Foundation, is to catalyze a more perfect union by designing and leading the most comprehensive and inclusive celebration in our country’s history. America250 represents a coalition of public and private partners all working to create initiatives and programs that honor our first 250 years
and inspire Americans to imagine our next 250. The commemoration period began in 2020, culminates on July 4, 2026, and officially concludes in 2027. For more information, visit www.america250.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Rebecca Devine, firstname.lastname@example.org